Friday, October 12, 2007

Tyler Perry - Why Did I Get Married?

Tyler Perry's new movie, "Why Did I get Married?" came out last night at midnight and I decided to support Atlanta resident Tyler Perry. I was surprised the theater (Atlantic Station) was damn near empty. The BET Hip Hop Awards is going on all this weekend so babe suspected that people were probably caught up in that. Perry is doing his thing. He wrote, produced, starred AND directed the movie. I ain't mad at ya bruh. I was happy to see Tyler play a stand up married man considering I'm used to seeing his "suspect" ass in drag. The plot was pretty good and the acting was ok (Janet was not too convincing). Jill Scott was pretty good. There's something special about her voice and the way she talks that just gets to me. When she speaks, it's poetry. The message I took away from the movie was the 80/20 rule. Basically, in marriage, your spouse has 80% of what you need ... oh.. if he/she could just be the other 20% then things would be PERFECT. But as time goes on, instead of appreciating the 80%, you start complaining and wishing you had the 20%. Then Mr. or Ms. 20% comes along.. and you think.. yeah this is what I need.. and you foolishly let go of the "80%" to grasp the "20%".

We all experience challenges in our relationships. But when we start to believe that there is something out there better than what we have, that is the day the affair starts and we loose track of our priorities. We need to be committed in building up our partners in the areas that they are lacking instead of looking for it somewhere else. I truly believe if two people are REALLY committed to each, have faith in each other and willing to do whatever to make each other happy, they can make it work.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

I agree completely with your critique of the movie. The 80/20 rule was the whole point. There were some other more subtle lessons too.

I agree that Tyler Perry is suspect. Although this role was a nice switch, he remains on the suspect list.

I think they did Jill Scott a disservice in the end. When she was made over, they should have made her look made over -- like the real Jill Scott. They kept her homey and I'm not sure why.

I agree Janet was just okay. Her main scene in the kitchen was not believable to me at all.

But the one that stole the show was the other lady. Crazy, she was probably the strongest actress and I dont even know her name. Side note: why didnt Oprah have the whole cast on the show?

She stole the whole movie with the scene about "Walter." [holding my two guns up, LOL].

pd said...

"Crazy, she was probably the strongest actress and I dont even know her name."

Lol Robyn. Ole' girl was on point. You're right, she definitely stole the show. That dinner scene had me rollin'. Tasha Smith, aka Angela, said all the things everybody was thinking but was scared to say.

Anonymous said...

I was also intrigued by the lesser croud in Delaware County, PA last evening. However, was realistic, gave a sense of touching and agreeing with the responses as what one would do. Janet was not really considered the main character, jill scott was the star and played it well.