Saturday, December 13, 2008

Maegan Reichert - Professional Rodeo Girl



After graduating third in her class at Chapel Hill High School in Mt. Pleasant, Texas, young Maegan Reichert set off on the professional rodeo trail with her mother. She had two scholarships on the table, one for rodeo, the other for academics. Described as a classic overachiever, Maegan is an upcoming rodeo star and is successful in the classroom.

The young Texan from Mount Pleasant won 2nd place in the 2008 National Finals Rodeo, all while going to college full time. The National Finals Rodeo is the highest level of competition in rodeo, like the World Series in baseball or the Super Bowl in football.

The health and kinesiology major maintained a 3.72 grade point average and aced her other finals—the National Finals—with 10 clean runs, but admitted it sometimes got tough to keep it all together. "When I’m at the airport I’m studying, and when I’m on the plane I’m either studying or sleeping," she said last fall.

Big Tex Trailers helped her with the juggling act by flying her on the company plane when she wasn’t on a commercial flight (her mother, Denise, drove her horses). Reichert, who wants to work in physical therapy or cardiac rehabilitation, will continue on to graduate school after earning her bachelor’s degree at the University of Texas in Tyler in 2009. “It’s a career for me now. I like to do it,” Reichert added. “It is complicated and you have to work to win so it’s not a walk in the park. But I like to be challenged, and it’s exciting too. I have been able to see the U.S. and some of Canada by being a part of rodeo and traveling.” (while earning great money)


Her future plans include attending graduate school, but for now the 21-year-old will continue riding high in both rodeos and academics.


“I will keep on being involved in rodeos for the meantime but not for a lifetime. I plan on getting a master’s degree so school will take over when that time comes, but for now I can handle both,” she said.


She Rides at 3:09 in the video below:

No comments: