Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's Illegal to Text in GA


I'm definitely against texting and driving. I once read something a long time ago about a study that discovered that texting and driving was worse than driving drunk. I definitely believe that considering texting takes your eyes away from the road where conditions can change in an instant. I personally try my best to only text when I reach my destination, at a red light or stuck in traffic...but I have been known to give a one word response (K) to babe while driving (I can do that considering I'm a better than average driver...lol).

Even though I feel this way, I am totally against the new law that bands texting in GA. Driving and texting should be a common sense law. Oprah, with her no texting/driving campaign has already, pretty much got every female to stop. Considering it is not against the law to dial a number and talk on the phone while driving, I think this law will be impossible to enforce accurately. It is impossible for a cop to differentiate between a person dialing a # and a person sending a text message. This law gives cops another BS reason to pull over people and give them a citation for simply holding a cell phone in their hand.

Official Law:

"No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any public road or highway of this state while using a wireless telecommunications device to write, send, or read any text based communication, including but not limited to a text message, instant message, electronic mail, or Internet data."

The fine for offenders will be $150 and one point on their driver license, the new law goes into effect on July 1st, 2010.

2 comments:

Don said...

Definitely! Definitely should apply to the law of common sense, but we all know that it won't.

When I lived in Stone Mountain a few years back I could not believe the amount of traffic accidents witnessed. Many, I have to believe were due to something involving a cellphone.

I stopped the texting on the phone when I nearly became involved in an accident where, afterwards, I wanted to get out the car and kick my own ass!

If I could stop talking on the cell as much while driving ... I'd be in the game!

pd3 said...

I feel you Don....texting is more dangerous than driving drunk....I just don't feel it can be accurately enforced and gives the police another reason to pull a brother over.....if you have a phone...it's your word against theirs.