Saturday, February 4, 2012

Hang a Flat Screen TV & Conceal Wires in the Wall

Mission: Mount bedroom TV on the wall and conceal the wires.

I’m a do-it-yourself type of dude, so of course I took pleasure in this project. I hung the TV with professional results for minimal cost.

Most TV brackets cost $100+. This one cost $20 from Ikea (thanks cuz for putting us on to that).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After measuring and marking the center and desired height, I used a stud finder to make sure as many as possible screws were in the studs. I installed a total of 6 screws to hang the bracket (3 in the studs and the other 3 were drywall anchor screws (each capable of holding 75 lbs.) for added support)).

Next, I cut holes in the wall with a drywall saw to route and conceal the wires (and installed the frame for my faceplate to mount to) . One hole close to the TV bracket and the other close to the floor.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I ordered a couple of wall plates with HDMI couplers installed AND some HDMI cables from eBay for about $10 total (two short 1.5 ft HDMI cables to connect from the wall to the TV).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I routed two 6ft HDMI cables in the wall and connected them to each wall plate. One port will be used for the cable and the other for an accessory (DVD, laptop, whatever….).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The wires are concealed. Now it’s time to hang the TV.

The top screws are used to mount. The bottom two are spacers so the TV hangs flat.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

MISSION COMPLETE.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

6 comments:

Don said...

Boss.

I bought a flat screen a couple years ago and wanted to mount onto the wall, but didn't feel like paying the grip being charged nor take myself through all the changes of self-installation.

Now, after seeing the step-by-step process ... I'm re-thinking my stance.

pd3 said...

Hey Don....the only thing not included in this step-by-step is what to do with the power. You'll need something like this to run your power: Click here

Don said...

Thanks for the info. I will learn to consider Walmart more, I see. Not sure when I will attempt but I've saved all information just in case.

pd3 said...

Don, if you don't shop at Walmart (and I don't blame you)...you can get that same product from many other vendors.

Selina Dorsey said...

Love this tilt mount from Bizarkdeal. I have had 3 other brands, this one is the best. It assembled easily, is sturdy in construction, and supports the 55" TV just fine! I also like the straps that you use to release it from the wall. I am going to buy another one to replace the fixed mount tv in my bedroom.

laila stephin said...

Welcome to JDE Installs! Gladly serving the Sarasota, Flat Screen TV Installation, and Tampa Bay region, we work in jack of all trades administrations. From the littlest assignment to expansive home change extends, we will probably surpass your desires as we change your home change extend into something you can be pleased with.